Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I Know it’s Your Mom’s Easter Pie, but Throw it Out!

This morning I heard on the news that Easter dinner produces the most leftovers of any holiday. I was shocked by this. Surely, Thanksgiving whose sole activity is eating would produce more leftovers. Like many holidays we have our favorite foods, the things that are made every year that you only eat on that occasion. For me at Easter, dad gives us a bag of Starbust jelly beans. In my humble opinion, they are the best brand of jelly beans, ever! Right now as I write, the jelly beans are talking to me, begging me to come over and eat them.

This is the problem with jelly beans and other such unhealthy leftovers. What was once meant for just one meal is now turning into several days of justifying why I can have the jelly beans. “Well I only had a small lunch and I think my dinner is only going to equal 250 calories so I think I will be okay to have some jelly beans,” I tell myself in a sad attempt to justify my continued indulgence. A good holiday will ruin anyone’s nutrition goals. It sets in motion activities that are beyond our norm. These abnormal activities interfere with our regularly scheduled plans and when you are working on nutrition goals, planning is key.
The bag never stays this full in my house.

There are a couple of reasons I believe we enter into this year-round situation. First, we love with food. Think of all the occasions where food is present including deaths, births, weddings, holidays, and celebrations of any kind. Bringing and giving food to others is a form of love. Second, we feel guilty for throwing it out or refusing. Regardless if it was made or bought, this gift of love occurred because someone thought enough of us to give it and we feel guilty if we don’t eat it or throw it out. So after several days of sugar rushes from jelly beans, I will be craving sugar for long after they are gone.  Sugar detox will ensue.
Tips for dealing with gifts of love called Food.
  • Instead of the proverbial family meal, how about planning an activity instead. Go bowling, swimming, hiking, or to the park together.
  • Freeze it for a future date (Personally I can’t do this because the food talks to me from the freezer.)
  • Give it friends and coworkers. Share the love.
  • Ask to be given other things besides food. We don’t verbalize our goals or aspirations enough to the people around us. They can’t be supportive of your healthy lifestyle if they don’t know about it.
  • Very sad, but true fact: There are lots of starving people throughout the world. But they will never receive your half eaten snickers bar. Throw it out!

For more tips, see “How to Deal with Unhealthy Leftovers
Now, what to do about my Starbust jelly beans? Hmm…
Today’s Verse: “ Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade.” 1 Pe 1:3-4.
Next blog: How to Remain Steadfast in an Ever-Changing World

1 comment:

  1. Christina, thank you so much for all the great information. I'm so proud of you. PJ

    ReplyDelete