Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Quick Bite: Fat Talk

(Quick bites are small snippets of info I find in between formal blogs. They could be recipes or things I find interesting.)

Have you ever stood in a circle of women only to find yourself in the middle of the competition in which everyone is trying to outdue each other with fat talk? You know, the "Oh, I wish I had your hips. Mine are way too big and make it hard to buy jeans." Or "Ugh, I feel fat in this. I'm having a fat day." It feels like a regular part of the female bonding experience. As if degrading yourself in front of others makes you grow closer to them when they respond with their own self-doubt.

The May issue of the Journal of Applied Communication Research explores fat talk and its effect on us. (Read the article here.) The authors found that participating in fat talk reflects lower body satisfaction, lower self-esteem and increased levels of depression. Then, the more you participate in fat talk, the less satisfied you are with your body, the less self-esteem you have, and the more likely you are to have mental health issues. Its a cycle. In short, talking bad about yourself, isnt good for your health!

I wonder if women in biblical times had such discussions. Call me crazy, but I suspect this is not what God had in mind for our inner (and outer)dialogue. If we to glorify God with our mouths (Ro 15:6), does engaging in fat talk accomplish that?

Do you engage in fat talk often?

Why do you think we do this?

Today's Verse: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and Redeemer." Ps 19:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment