Blog Archive

Monday, September 10, 2012

Will all the Drama Queens Please Stand Up!


“If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone,” Romans 12:18.
My morning reading produced this lovely verse that stuck with me all day. In fact, I chuckled when I read it. Don’t get me wrong; it’s a great directive. The part that made me chuckle was “as far as it depends on you.” How many of us have ever been in the presence of a drama queen? I would not consider myself a drama queen. I think I attempt to see things from the other person’s point of view. Maybe I am and aren’t self-aware. Either way, I have known a few women who have succumb to bouts of queen-ish behavior.  Women are generally perceived to be the ones producing most of the drama. I can’t say I disagree with that. I’m sure there are men who enjoy the drama too, but based on my boyfriend’s friendships and mine….yep, women cause more drama. Whether it’s our desire to end the dispute with us on top or we are addicted to the negative attention that a drama filled situation brings, the “as far as it depends on you” line can be lost on us.

I think the key to tackling the drama queen syndrome is to first find the peace within you. There is no better place to do that than with your health. The drama we place on our physical selves keeps us in a tailspin of perpetual bad health. Let’s look at some common drama-like attitudes that we exhibit. Let me first say, I have done them all. Maybe I am a drama queen.

  • Internal negotiations. “Well I only had 200 calories for breakfast and 100 calorie snack. I missed lunch so I can have a Totino’s Pizza.” Okay, yes, Totino’s pizza is the best frozen pizza but it also has 4 grams of trans fat. No rationalizing should allow this. I’m just lucky Taco Bell stopped making the grilled stuffed burrito.
  • I’ll start tomorrow.  All day binging won’t translate into a successful start to your diet or physical activity routine tomorrow. Start now instead. It doesn’t matter what you had for breakfast. You can begin making a difference right now.
  • Acai Berry will help me lose weight.  Stop right there and begin thinking rationally. There is not one single food or nutrient that will cause your weight loss or solve most health problems. Only moderate intake of calories with balanced nutrients can get and keep you thin.
  • I’ve tried but I have no self-control.  It goes beyond the self-control concept. Do you want to go to work every day? Most likely not but you still do. You get a reward for that effort called money. So find the reward and the motivation that will dismiss the notion of self-control and set you up for success. For more tips on successful change, see my blog “Failed Another Health Goal?
  • I’m never eating bread again or I’m not eating after 6pm.  This idea of strict food rules may be the most dramatic of all. While we like to “go big or go home” you will break your rule before you know it and the feeling of failure sets in. Never say never. (Okay I have hit my cliché limit.)
This is by no means an exhaustive list of drama-health behaviors but I think you get the point. So if we are looking to cut the drama and enhance our spiritual life, look no further than physical discipline to achieve this. Gary Thomas, in his book EveryBody Matters says, “For most of our lives we have emphasized growing our souls, not always realizing that a lack of physical discipline can undercut and even erode spiritual growth.” So the next time you are on the verge of sending the text that will only ignite the flames of drama, try aerobics instead. And as far as it depends on you, live at peace with yourself.

Today’s Verse: “Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay, says the Lord.’” Romans 12:17-19.

2 comments: